Friday, February 22, 2008

A Heavenly Friday Five- Revgals




Singing Owl shares:
I am in Seattle assisting with family stuff and preparing to attend a memorial service (Saturday) for my sister who died of complications of early-onset Alzheimer's disease.



I am not grieving much, since the shock and tears and goodbyes and losses have been many and have occurred for a long time now. I am mostly relieved that my wonderful sister and best friend is free from pain and confusion, and I am thinking of eternity. That sounds somber, but I don't mean it to be. I decided to have a little fun with the idea. So how about we share five "heavenly" things? These can me serious or funny or a combination of the two.


What is your idea of a heavenly (i.e. wonderful and perfect):


1. Family get-together:
I am an only child, and in general my family is not large. My husband comes from a much larger group. I think my wish would be to widen the net. I moved a lot growing up. I would like to have a get together with our families and our friends over the years. And in this gathering, everyone would be healthy, no one would bicker and not talk for years and no one would be drunk, or depressed. As a fellow traveler on the Alzheimer's journey in both sides of my family, it would also be cool for everyone to be who they were before parts of them slipped away. All of the things that here on earth keep us from being who we could be would be gone.


2. Song or musical piece
It is hard to pick just one. Because it makes me think I would be stuck with one piece of music for eternity. Kind of like being stuck on hold with a one-tune soundtrack. But for starters, Widor's Toccata, Faure's Requiem, and maybe a really good gospel choir to lift us up.

3. Gift
I would like to be able to bring peace

4. You choose whatever you like-food, pair of shoes, vacation, house, or something else. Just tell us what it is and what a heavenly version of it would be.
To see the world, but not just the way it is now, but to see places at their best- in whatever time that was ( like the hanging gardens in Babylon for example) Unrealistic and it involves time travel, but why not dream big?

5. And for a serious moment, or what would you like your entrance into the next life to be like?
I would like to be surrounded by family, having said my goodbyes, with nothing left unsaid, and then someone reaches out and takes my hand to walk me into the next and eternal life- and I breathe my last on this earth but it just feels like a sweet sigh of contentment, like falling in the arms of a wide embrace that ends with being reunited with God, and everyone I have known and miss that is already a part of the saints, is there, and everyone I have ever wanted to know or meet is there. And there is indescribable joy.
What, from your vantage point now, would make Heaven "heavenly?"
Being in the presence of God


Just feeling a little philosophical today- thanks SO, and prayers for you and your family at this time.
The picture above is by Akiane, a child artist whose work is here.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

OH Widor's Toccata from the 5th symphony - that's a favorite, along with Faure's Requiem. Excellent pieces!

Diane M. Roth said...

I know how you feel about "widening the net". I would like to do that myself. :)

thanks for the great post!

imngrace said...

Great play. And, blessings on your CPE Vacation. You will get through it and it will have relevance (really!). I grew up near LTSG but went to Southern. Looks like I'll be back home.

Processing Counselor said...

"A sweet sigh of contentment" is what I feel when I get into bed some nights. Maybe that's heaven on earth!