Thursday, March 10, 2011

What I Need for this Day

Ephesians 6:10-18
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.


What will this day demand?
In a world where conlict and competition blare-
Take a stand
stand your ground
stand up
stand firm

where at times over against those stands and demands you speak-

Take your stand
You will be able to stand your ground
You will be able to stand
Stand firm
Though not for the sake of the world as it is,
but the world that should be

Many people and events and things will tell you that you cannot,
you should not
or that you won’t.
Stand firm then- in those times.

Are there places in my life where I need to take a stand?

Just as likely places where I just need to be able TO stand.
So many processes swirling at once,
like the childhood game
of thrusting your arms out from your sides
and spinning, spinning, spinning
as fast as you can
til you’re dizzy
and you fall
down.
And everything you see is contorted until eventually it stops.
We laugh because we know it is temporary
Not the permanent picture.

But…
We don’t always choose
who starts our spinning.
We don’t always know
how the myriad things that assail us
will again be straight or chased away.
Til then it takes everything just to stand.

Your truth, Lord
is what holds my center of gravity
Your righteousness
dwells in my heart even when I forgot to prepare room
You will guide my feet into places of peace
When I want to take a stand but shouldn’t
When you tell me to walk by faith
and not by what I think I see,
or don’t see.

These are your words
Words for me
Words for all of us
Permanently.

How will I sort out your words
from all of the others?
By remembering to return to you,
You who proclaim that you give the gift
of conversation with you
where all of our questions
and all of requests
are heard by you
Where you remind us to stick around because
there are others too
whose questions and requests
are also worthy and heard by you.
who also long to just stand
How will we see and receive the armor we truly need for this day?

I guess it's a good thing you like to talk.Help me be a good listener.

No comments: